It is unavoidable to say that Thai Curry is the favorite dish throughout the world. For Thais, curry is normally a soup which is comprised of key ingredient like coconut milk, meat and curry paste. In fact, there are different types of curry in Thailand depending on which curry’s category to be applied, either it would be red, green, massaman, yellow or panang and more. The unique curry among other Thai curries could be counted Massaman in the list as it mostly used dried spices for seasoning. By which chicken is the most favorite meat for western while beef and lamb is more preferred in Thailand. If you would like to cook a delicious Thai Massaman Chicken Curry for 4 – 6 serves, here below is some tips you should not miss.
- Tip 1 – Choose the right key ingredients : Well prepared the ingredients would surely be a good start and the main ingredients for Massaman has included 1kg of chicken hip or thigh, 200g of carrot cut in same size, 100g of pineapple cut in bite size, 200g of potatoes cut in 1 inches width, 100g of large white onions in quarters or around 12 peeled , 50g of roasted cashew nut or raw peanuts, 3 cups of coconut milk and 2 cups of coconut cream with the seasoning like 3 table spoons of fish sauce, 2 table spoons of palm sugar, 4 to 5 table spoons of concentrated tamarind juice and 3 to 4 tablespoon of Massaman curry paste.
- Tip 2 – Cook good taste of Massaman by follow the below direction
- Boil chicken and coconut milk in a medium to a very low heat for 20 minutes to 1 hour, then remove from heat and set aside.
- Pour enough water separately to boil potatoes for roughly 20 minutes or until it is under-cooked then, drain the water and keep the potatoes aside.
- Use the large bottom pan to heat oil in a medium heat level and add the prepared curry paste to cook until smell its fragrant then pour the coconut cream and start fry again. If it seems to be separate, continue stirring.
- Put the boiled chicken with pineapple, carrot, peanut (or cashew nut) together with fish sauce, tamarind, coconut milk, palm sugar, onion and potatoes and boiling them until they are cooked. After that lower the heat to cook for another 10 minutes.
- Taste and adjust any seasoning with palm sugar, tamarind or fish sauces as preferred before turning off.
- Tip 3 – Take condiment to taste the exotic Massaman: Basically, Thai Massaman should be a bit sweet with a slight taste of sour by tamarind. To be more delicious, it should be served together with cucumber relish or pickled ginger or roti and a glass of wine.
Frankly speaking, the taste of Thai Massaman chicken curry would be even better if it was kept for the next day and being reheated. So, if it is left or you can try to make double portion and just freeze them overnight for reheating, then you will enjoy more.